Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Thirteenth Tale- Book Review (brief)

I always get annoyed with this kind of book. The kind that start out slow, then suddenly accelerate, and run along quite smoothly for a a while, and then crash and smoulder at the end. Yeah. I didn't even read the last couple of chapters because I was so disappointed. The middle of it was good because there was a lot of mystery and creepy stuff going on. I liked the stories of the past MUCH better than the seemingly whiny voice of Margaret, the girl who sets out to write the biography of a famous dying writer. Really? It just seems too unlikely that a writer as renowned as Vida Winter (fictional character in the book...) would choose a complete stranger to write down her life story. Oh well. Anyway, I liked it when Vida was the one talking, because Margaret just constantly whines about her dead twin. Which sounds bad, but she just goes on and on about it. That's all she cares about, apparently, apart from books. And I wouldn't mind that that much either, except then she goes and SEES her sister's ghost. It was just...too, well, unbelieveable. I'm usually a fan of ghost stories, but here, the ghost story seems forced, and an afterthought. Or maybe I just don't get the 'gothic' genre. Which is what this book is, from what I hear.
I would give this 2.5 out of 5, based solely on its ability to pull me in during Vida Winter's parts. Otherwise, I wouldn't like it at all.
Now, onto bigger and better books!

No comments:

Post a Comment