Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Two Awesome *Butterless* Cookie Recipes


As promised, here are the recipes to the two types of cookies I made this afternoon (it took me 3 hours to bake 56 cookies...is that normal??) I actually started baking as soon as I got up...a full 10 hours of sleep sure does wonders...

Pictures were taken by my sister..who promptly ate half a plate of cookies as she snapped away. Oh well, they were meant for her anyway... (I tried to get her to wake up to the smell of fresh-baked cookies, but she woke up too soon...darn. Next time!)


No Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Stir together flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together both types of sugar, oil, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to oil mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
Using a tablespoon measure, scoop up dough and shape into tight rounds of about ¾ to 1 inch. Space them about 2 inches apart on two ungreased cookie sheets. The mounds should be bursting with chips. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Makes about 2 dozen [I got 17 cookies both times I made them]



These chocolate chip ones are fantastic with a glass of milk straight out of the oven, and still good for the next couple of days. Out of the oven, though, they tend to look a little uncooked inside, and the texture is rather doughy. I liked them better the next day.

EDIT: I just re-tasted these just now, and they are wayyyy better once they've cooled off completely. YUM
This was the first time I made them...I didn't squish the mounds of cookie dough down and got these cute little balls of sweetness...




And the second time, I flattened them out a bit, just to see what they would be like...

 



The small cookies were cute and bite-size, and I think I liked them that way for snacks and things. The larger size worked fine too; they just weren't as pretty and took longer to eat...but that might be a good thing.

The first time I made these (last week), I was elated that I had found a great-tasting, butterless chocolate chip cookie recipe. I'm still really happy I found them, but I actualy prefer the cookies below...



Crisp Oatmeal Cookies
Here they are all toasty-warm in the oven...


Makes about 2 dozen cookies (I got 39 cookies by putting down rounded tablespoons of cookie dough and then squishing them down a bit...same with what I did with the chocolate chippies up above)
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 T. soy milk or almond milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1 cup dark dairy-free chocolate chips (optional) --> I used some dried currants instead
Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and sugars. Set aside.
3. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, soy milk and vanilla extract until combined.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. If using, fold in the dark dairy-free chocolate chips.
5. Drop the mixture in spoonfuls about 2 inches apart from one another on the prepared sheet.
6. Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Let cool on the pans for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.


These oatmeal cookies were sooo good. They're really quite sweet though because there's a LOT of sugar in them, so I left out the chocolate chips and went with currants instead. Boy, was I glad I did that! They turned out crisp and golden and slightly chewy and chock-full of oatmeal...perfect. I can't believe I like these better than the chocolate chip cookies!
The now-empty bag of currants I used...there weren't that many left in the first place!


I hope everyone is enjoying spring break. Urgh only a few days left and then it's back to school :(

4 comments:

  1. You're such a sweet sis : )
    I can almost taste those oatmeal cookies just by staring at my screen right now... they taste crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome looking cookies! and you seem to be way more health conscious with your baking than I am with mine! Remind me to show you how to create a hyperlink...it's easy (that is if you haven't figured it out on your own yet)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You saved the day! We tried the first recipe, but as I was out of chocolate chips and vanilla, we simply omitted them. Still delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete