Friday, January 6, 2012

The Most Amazing Brownies Ever. Period.

My friends DEVOURED these brownies. They ate a double batch at one party. Then they polished off a triple batch at the next. We were sugar high for the next hour, but that was alright, because these were amazing. Hard to stop at just one piece.I researched a long time to find a good butterless brownie recipe. Actually, I've only ever tried one recipe, and every time I want to try a different one, I can't bring myself to do it because I miss these ones so much, and if you're gonna bake a sweet treat then why wouldn't you go for your favourite? I've been meaning to try black-bean brownies for a while now, so hopefully one day I'll get a little tired of these and bake up a batch of those!
My sister, who really rarely eats a lot of sweets, LOVES this. She keeps telling me she'll get fat, the skinny squirt.


Here's the recipe!


Butterless Brownies --> this is for one batch

½ C vegetable oil
1 C sugar
1 tsp mint extract (or 1.5 tsp vanilla)
2 eggs
à
I used one egg to make it more chewy (less eggs= more chewiness)
½ C all purpose flour
1/3 C cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9inch square pan (or any deep squarish dish) with parchment paper.
mix oil and sugar in large bowl, add mint/vanilla and egg(s).
in separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
sift the dry ingredients into the wet gradually and mix thoroughly after each addition (in about two to three turns).
pour batter into prepared pan.
bake for 20-25 mins or until brownies start to come away from the sides. poke with toothpick to check.
cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. cut into squares and enjoy with a glass of milk!

I'd really recommend doubling or even tripling the batch if you're doing this in a deep-dish style, because one batch is just not thick enough to cut it, at least for my friends. Also, if you do triple it, it takes at least an hour to cook completely (nothing comes off on a toothpick). Whew, that took a while for me to figure out! I got impatient after testing it four times and turned it up to 370F, but that just made the edges way to hard. To eat, they're fine. To cut, they're a horror. Or maybe that's just because I decided to cut the oil by 1/3C out of 1.5C...does that matter in how hard the thing gets? Anyhow, it came out hard and crunchy on the edges, beautifully chewy inside.
Oh yeah, I tried to cut down on oil because it's really oily...duh. But I wouldn't suggest it, since it didn't make much of a difference, plus I got really worried the batter would be too dry near the end.


Pictures coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. the sound pretty good and I'm glad you told us about the oil, it really does make a difference and it keeps the brownies really moist

    ReplyDelete
  2. so when you say you used one less an egg, did you only use one?? Or did the recipe call for three and you used two? :s -thankss

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^Hi there, the original recipe used two eggs, but I only use one so it turns out more chewy (I read that somewhere). It depends on how you like your brownies!
    Thanks for taking a look around my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instead of taking out the egg completely include the egg yolk. Also sift in 1tsp corn starch with the flour if you want to increase chewiness.

    ReplyDelete